This weekend as I was enjoying an after work drink at the Box Social, a friend appeared with a wad of vintage fabric in her hands. As she sat down, she unfurled a nearly destroyed early 1960's cotton day dress. Apparently someone found it in a nearby tree and thought it had come from my shop. I saw it has a great opportunity to start a new feature on the blog, Before and After.
I'll take near-ruined dresses and other vintage clothing, and show you how I've made them wearable again! Sewing is a passion of mine, but clothing construction can be incredibly difficult. Mending, taking out stains, shortening a hem and other projects I can finish in an afternoon have become par for the course since starting the shop and I've found I really enjoy doing them and breathing new life into an old piece of clothing.
When I got home from the bar, I took a look at the condition of the dress. Luckily there weren't any stains, but the seams were ripped out under both the arms and along the waist. There was also a missing button-detail on the bust of the dress.
I ended up having to tear out an entire sleeve and re-sew the seam. I also put the pleats back in the skirt of the dress and re-enforced the zipper where it was getting weak. There was no fabric to cover another button and replace the missing one, so instead I took some vintage buttons from another dress instead and used those.
Remarkably, the dress is now in totally wearable condition. It's a super cute style and print and I think I'll put it in the shop this coming weekend! It would have been such a shame to let a garment that's over 50 years old head to the trash and now it's ready to wear.